Thursday, February 17, 2011

Friendly, frightening Frim






During our field trip to Frim it was very frightening and friendly at the same time. There where four activities that we did but the one that I am focusing on is the humanities activity. The humanities activity was based on the Hunger Games by Susan Collins. We had to survive. The teachers where the Capitol and the rest of us where set into districts. This was very intense because the teacher where the Capitol and they didn't describe much about what we where going to do. Since we couldn't disturb the Capitol it was hard to ask question.


First off we had a list and we needed to choose 5 items from the list. We where aloud to choose five items and the items my groups chose was a first aid kit, matches, mossy net, compass and the camping crockery. We needed these 5 items to survive and we needed to compete for the item, since they where only one item in the Capitol. We needed the first aid kit incase anyone got hurt, a match to lit up fire, a mossy net to protect us from critters, a compass to know where we are if we got lost in other districts trying to fight, and a camping crockery to use it for utensils to cook. However most of us did not get all our items because other groups where faster. When we didn't get all ur items I felt destroyed inside because my group didn't know what do use it for, so we had to create a new idea for the new items we got and I felt relieved that we could work with the items we got even though it wasn't the ones we want. We got a frisbee, tarp and a tissue box. We decided to use the frisbee for a shield or throwing it at someone, my group decides to use the tarp to protect us if it rained at night and we use the tissue box to wipe of blood off our enemies so later on we could eat them for food.



After we got our items we needed to choose where our district would be. The capitol gave us instructions what we needed to do but it was not clear because everyone was in a rush. Once we got to our district, my group seted up for our drama activity that took time. When we heard we needed to dance and sing our group quickly got an idea but then it failed because some of the group members did not like the idea. Then we decided to sing, " We are the Champions " and all the members of our district like the song and the dance moves. It was hard to get the dance move right when suddenly the Capitol came to ask us what we used the item we got for. Then we needed to dance and sing. Once we started singing and dancing after a while the Capitol told us to stop and we felt confused because we where not done. After our performance the Capitol gave us 2 items because they where impress with our performance. They gave us fettel seed which could heal people and an invisible bag where we could sneak up on other groups with.



The dangers in our district would be the enemies at night because we could see all the district but where our district where we could attack on only one, since we where behind a tree so my group got protected by the big tree. Since our district decided to build our district on top it was not bad because when it was raining the water would not drown us since we where not very low since the forest was slanted and we went on top. Another danger was the trees because many of our enemies could hide behind the trees since we where in a forest and sneak up on us and kill us. If the enemies killed us we could not be able to keep our district safe because other group would have taken over our district.



What I would have wish for if I needed more protection for my district. I would have wish for weapons or a rope because if we had weapons such as a knife, shield, etc . This would have helped us because if an enemies came or we went to another district we could have just taken our weapons and started killing them if they where attacking them. I also would have wished for a rope because we could tie it on a branche on top of the tree then we could have slept on top of the tree and watch our enemies from the tree because we could use the rope to build a ladder or just use the rope. The strength that I used to participate in my group was being the thinker and helping other what we could have use the items we got for. Another strength I used was participating because even though I thought some of the move we did where not my type of move I did it anyways because I wanted to participate and not be the sour loser.



The connections I had with the book the Hunger Games is knowing how Katniss felt when she was being watch by other Districts and other people. I felt another connection with the book and Katniss because of surviving in the forest and becoming a District and working with others. If we where really playing the Hunger Game I think it would be hard and tough and I would have felt like Katniss, frightened and scared. During our group and how we didn't choose our group I didn't feel bad about it because I knew we needed to work and at least get something done. Even though my group was very loud I didn't care because I knew the people in my group would work.



What I learned about nature is that we should care about it and the organism around us. This is because if we don't many of the rare organisms might be extinct and we would not be able to see it. When we went on the night hike it was very beautiful because you can hear, see and smell nature. You can hear the sounds of the birds, chirping and the monkey's screeching. The natural organism you could see where the tree that never touch each other and the dragonfly that looked like a caterpillar with glow in the dark eyes. Finally what you could smell was the Latex that the guild burnt to let us smell which to me smelled like rubber.



I things that I learnt about myself is how much effort I put into caring about nature, myself and others around me. The SLR's I used to learn about myself are think creatively, communicate effectively, and collaborate constructively. I think I did all of these SLR's because I think creatively by helping my group in the humanities activity, to help what we used the items for, communicate effectively with my group when we went hiking and with the humanities activity and finally collaborate constructively to keep a positive attitude with the teachers and the students.


No comments:

Post a Comment